Fall Apple Cake

September 13, 2011
I couldn’t justify making this cake, in all its sweet-tasting glory, without having someone to share it with. I decided a dessert night with friends was waaay past due.  I doubled the original recipe and it fit nicely into a 9×13-inch pan.  I also doubled it for you below in case you’re thinking a dessert night spent with friends sounds as appealing to you as it did to me.

The cake turned out super moist and the glazy top was just spectacular! So here’s to cooler weather and to friendship!

Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze

1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional) – I didn’t use any

Brown Sugar Glaze:
1 cup packed light brown sugar
6 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons heavy cream

For the Cake:  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9×13-inch pan with butter and set aside.  In a large bowl, mix the eggs with a hand mixer til light in color and foamy.  Add the oil and vanilla and beat well. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Stir with a whisk to mix everything together.  Stir in the flour mixture with a spoon and continue stirring the batter til the flour disappears.  Add the apples and nuts (if using) and stir to mix them into the batter.  Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Place the hot cake on a wire cooling rack. While it’s still hot, prepare the glaze.

For the glaze: Combine all the ingredients into a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes.

Spoon the hot glaze over the still hot-from-the-oven cake. Let the glazed cake cool completely before serving straight from the pan.

• Reply Hannah September 14, 2011 at 9:56 am

this looks amazing!! We're having "apple day" hopefully on Saturday, so this is def going to be one of the recipes we use! Thanks!

• Reply Barbara H. September 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm

This sounds scrumptious. I'm bookmarking it. I had seen some recipes for apple cake that sounded complicated — had to let them sit and soak in something for hours (mine would probably turn into much…) But this one sounds do-able.

• Reply Heather September 14, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I was looking for a post from you the other day and…no updates! I thought, she must the tikes must be keeping you crazy busy. But, today (Sept. 14), there were 3 new posts. Marybeth, do you know when I sit down for a break, with my French Vanilla Cappuccino, I read your blog?! I do. And today, as school winds down, we are peeling and cutting apples to can applesauce. Now, I shall make this cake for Ron to enjoy this afternoon, when he wakes up. He's on night-shift now, and a nice piece of this with a cup of coffee will be a wonderful wake-up for him. Thank you! Blessings to you guys!

• Reply Mary Beth September 15, 2011 at 7:31 am

Hannah, I miss our apple orchards in SC…hope you have fun with all your kiddos. Update your blog, girl! I keep checking it, so post pictures of your apple day pretty please?!

Mrs. Harper, it is very doable! If I can make it with toddlers "helping", I'm sure anybody can! It also tastes better with age…I love recipes like that.

Miss Heather, Those were the sweetest words EVER that you like to read all of this during your break. I can't believe we are mere hours from eachother again. Nice to think about. 🙂 I hope the cake turned out for you and Mr. Ron loved it! We'll see you soon I'm sure!

• Reply Charity September 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Making this tonight. Can't wait to taste 🙂

• Reply Susanna September 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Woops . . . didn't realize my sis was logged in. She's at my house tonight and we're going to try your cake together 🙂

• Reply Susanna September 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Your cake made an appearance on my blog today: http://learning-2-see.blogspot.com/2011/09/pickture-perfect-day.html

• Reply Barbara H. November 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I did make this a few times since I first saw it here, but last Friday I was supposed to make a dessert for a family game night and was trying to come up with something when I remembered this. So nice and fallish – and tasted wonderful!