The Creative Closet | Red

April 24, 2013

Annapolis & Company | RedAnnapolis & Company | Red

I guess I spoke too soon. We had a cold front come through and it was sweaters and boots all over again. Our weather is…unpredictable.

There was a tornado that swept through Oklahoma about 20 minutes from us last week. Before we moved here, everyone was like, “But what about the tornadoes!” And we honestly have wondered where they are. A few warnings, but nothing extremely close to home.

But last week? Steven woke me up around midnight and had me and the kids squeeze into our little linen closet in the center of the house. The sirens were going off for what felt like forever, and I was legitimately scared. The kids were troopers and slept right through it….I huddled them close for about an hour in that tiny space while we waited. Keller was on top of me and the girls were smooshed in on either side. The storm missed us and we finally crawled back into bed somewhere between 1am and 2am. I let Keller sleep in bed with us…partly because I was exhausted and partly because I was so shaken up.

Ever since the Boston bombing, I think I’ve been on edge. I’ve been watching the news more {we don’t have tv, so mostly what I find on the internet}, trying to bring myself out of the mothering daze I’ve been in for the past 5 yrs. The safe haven of bottles and diapers, avocados and pancakes. And slowly I am coming out of my shell, waking up to current events. And sometimes…well…sometimes I wish I could go back.

Back to my shell.

Back to safe.

Back to cozy sweaters.

Back to uninformed.

I know, in the end, that that is no way to deal with things…and so I’m tentatively immersing myself back into what is now our culture. Hello, technology. Hello, overalls coming back in. Hello, tumultuous times. I will catch up to your speed!

But in my heart of hearts, I’ll be living in Avonlea. 🙂 I’ll be reading books and wearing my moccasins. I’ll cozy up in sweaters…and drink my coffee or chai tea. I’ll do my best to bring the warm back to a chilly day. And the cozy to a hot summer.

Because the world is what we make of it.

Or so I believe.

//Sweater: Anthropologie //Knit Dress: Anthropologie //Knit Tights: Anthropologie //Boots: Target

Linking up with:WIWW at The Pleated Poppy // Casual Friday at Two Thirty-Five Design // Modest Mom // Style Session by Style Elixir // Rolled Up Pretty

• Reply Susanna April 24, 2013 at 9:05 am

It’s beautiful how you mix fashion and heart …

• Reply Mary Beth April 25, 2013 at 4:44 am

Awwww….thank you! Sometimes I feel like there is only so much you can say about clothes…but I love sharing the inspiration. 🙂

• Reply Heather Disarro (@heathersdish) April 24, 2013 at 9:26 am

That sweater is basically what I would want my whole wardrobe to look like…except I don’t know how well that would work in Arkansas. BUT STILL! 🙂

• Reply Mary Beth April 25, 2013 at 4:45 am

Awwww…I know! Bring cozy weather to Oklahoma, please! Everyone is complaining that spring is winter right now….and I am soaking it UP. 🙂 I love spring, but I’m not looking forward to the heat inevitably coming our way….

• Reply Michelle April 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm

The storms have been freaking me out too, good old Oklahoma.. I love that sweater! It looks so cozy and perfect for a cold day like today!

• Reply Mary Beth April 25, 2013 at 4:46 am

I don’t know if it’s where we live now, or what, but I felt so unprotected with that last storm! Scary, scary!

• Reply Sam April 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Your outfit looks unbelieveably warm and comfortable. It makes me want to climb under a blanket with some hot chocolate. I’m glad the storm passed you guys without leaving damage, how scary!

• Reply Mary Beth April 25, 2013 at 4:48 am

Sam! That’s exactly how I feel when I wear it! I got it from Anthropologie, and although they don’t have it listed on their website, our Tulsa store had a few left as of a couple days ago for $19.95. Just in case you want an excuse to drink hot chocolate. 🙂 And thank you for your well wishes…I am so glad the storm missed us!

• Reply Charlie April 24, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Great photos. Reality is a little over-rated but unavoidable. Damn! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Mary Beth April 25, 2013 at 4:49 am

Thanks, Charlie!

• Reply Liz April 24, 2013 at 9:32 pm

After I read your post, I turned to my husband and read aloud the first sentence in your last paragraph. I asked him if he knew what that meant. Obviously he said no, so of course he had to ask me if I knew. I love Anne of Green Gables…I wanted to be Anne! LOL. I was an imaginative kid who always thought I was born in the wrong century.
    (I hope you were referring to Anne of Green Gables, otherwise I will feel like a buffoon.)

We don’t have cable either and I tend to forget to check the news. Sometimes I just really enjoy not filling my ears and mind with the world…

Love the sweater! It looks very cozy and makes me ready for Fall again. (I’m obsessed with the Fall season. If it were up to me, it would last year round. :D)

• Reply Mary Beth April 25, 2013 at 4:54 am

Girl! I LIVED in Avonlea when I was growing up. I thought I was Anne and I wanted red hair. I tried to talk like her, wear my hair in a bun like her, make my friends into Diannas. I’m sure my parents thought I was crazy….

My girls are the same way and I am constantly reminding myself not to get mad at them when they drag all my clean blankets out of the linen closet to create a house in the yard…with all the library books…and a hose…and all the pillows from my couch. 🙂 {Like yesterday.}

But I’m glad I was imaginative like that and that they are in return…our imaginations are such a gift, I believe.

I hear you on the cable! We had it for a couple months in our marriage and I’ve said…no more!!!! Can’t handle it. Must take the news in small doses over here!