DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask

June 5, 2013

title

Coconut oil has become a staple in my life. I use it as a facial moisturizer, a replacement for butter in baking, and now as a moisturizing hair mask. (You’ll be blown away by this list of 101 Uses of Coconut Oil!) Because I highlight my hair fairly often and I want to keep growing it out, I have to stay on top of putting moisture back into my hair to keep it healthy. I really don’t like spending money on expensive masks, so when I read a post on How Does She? on using coconut oil instead, I knew I needed to give it a try. I have been using this method for about a year now and love it!

You really only need 3 things to get fabulous results {#1 & #5 are optional}.

Annapolis & Company | Coconut Oil Uses

Here’s what you need:

1} a tennis shoe. Yes, a tennis shoe…I will explain later

2} a disposable shower cap {I got mine at Sally’s Beauty Supply} or saran wrap works too

3} coconut oil {this one is from Walmart}

4} hair clips

5} hair dryer

Directions:

I usually do this treatment on dirty hair, but I don’t think it matters. It’s easier and faster to apply the coconut oil on detangled hair, so I brush it very well before beginning.

Annapolis & Company | Coconut Oil Uses

^^^Coconut oil melts to the touch, so there is no need to pre-melt it…unless you want to. I stick my head over the tub and begin applying it to my hair – from roots to ends – until it is completely “wet” with the oil. Then, I wrap my hair up on top of my head and secure it in place with the clips and cover it with the shower cap.

Applying heat is optional, but a good step especially if you have very dry or damaged hair. If you don’t have 10-15 minutes to apply heat, then you can just leave the oil in your hair for about 30 minutes and then wash {I usually wash my hair twice to get all the oil out}.

I have read that coconut oil is one of the best oils to put on your hair. Heat opens up the hair shaft and allows even more of the oil to soak in.

I usually apply heat for about 10-15 minutes if I can, but I don’t like standing there holding my hair dryer. I can’t remember where I saw this trick, but it’s great for being hands free. It’s a little rigged, but I know you have this at your house. It’s hard to explain, so let me show you….

Annapolis & Company | Coconut Oil Uses

^^^Just set this contraption up on your bathroom counter, grab some magazines or your smartphone, and chill for 10-15 minutes while your hair is getting beautified!

Next, wash your hair thoroughly, and you are all done!

Annapolis & Company | Coconut Oil Uses

^^^Another little trick I use when I don’t have time to do a complete hair mask, is to apply a small amount of the coconut oil to the very ends of my hair before I go to bed at night.

Annapolis & Company | Coconut Oil Uses

^^^I rub a very tiny amount onto my fingertips and apply it to the end of my braid. If you have very fine hair, this might not work for you. If you’re trying to grow your hair out and want to go longer in between trims, then this trick works great! The oil soaks in overnight and my hair doesn’t look oily at all the next day! {I usually wash my hair every 2-3 days and I even do this on days that I am not washing it}.

33 Comments

• Reply Christa @ BrownSugarToast June 5, 2013 at 7:48 am

Great tip!!! I’ve heard of this before, but never tried it. Thanks for the tip and the gorgeous photography!

• Reply guest posting for annapolis & company - Emily Sue June 5, 2013 at 10:14 am

[…] at Annapolis & Company on how I incorporate coconut oil into my natural beauty routine! Click HERE to check it […]

• Reply Kacey June 5, 2013 at 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing, Emily! I’m definitely going to try it. And I’m laughing about the hairdryer/shoe trick because it’s so funny and genius!

• Reply Jenn June 4, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I just bought a bonnet hair dryer from amazon for my deep condition ~ works so good!

• Reply leah June 5, 2013 at 2:26 pm

i love using coconut oil on my hair too. that little trick with the tennis shoe is genius!

• Reply Tara June 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Um, yes, I will be trying this! My hair is getting looong and it could use some work. Thanks for sharing Emily!

• Reply Vivien June 10, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for the mask recipe! I use a pro naturals argan oil mask that works great too, but I love home remedies.

• Reply Kristine June 14, 2013 at 10:26 am

Thanks for the DIY. I have rubbed it on the ends, but never applied heat! Have to try the shoe dryer! Excellent.

• Reply Krysty June 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Thanks for sharing!

• Reply 25 Beach Beauty Recipes - Henry Happened August 7, 2013 at 9:25 am

[…] Soak // Body Sugaring for Hair Removal // Shaving Cream Row 3: Best Ever Sunless Tan // Coconut Oil Hair Mask // Lime & Mint Foot Soak Row 4: Beach Sand Scrub // Cucumber Hair Treatment // Seaweed […]

• Reply Lisa August 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I treat my hair this way once a month (I have VERY DRY hair) and have always hated the hair dryer part. The shoe idea is BRILLIANT!! Thank you!!

• Reply Mary Beth August 15, 2013 at 6:42 am

Yay, lisa!!!! I love finding new tricks like this too! Emily is so good to share it with us…

• Reply Natural hair loss September 21, 2013 at 8:35 am

Cool! Coconut oil is really the best remedy for hair care.

• Reply 25 Beach Beauty Recipes November 4, 2013 at 4:40 am

• Reply Heather January 4, 2014 at 7:01 pm

This is amazing! Was so relaxing with my magazine under my shoe dryer!

• Reply My Hippie Happy List - Small Bird Studios January 6, 2014 at 11:29 pm

[…] Coconut Oil Hair Mask I’ve only done this once, right around the time I started my no-poo adventure, but I remember liking how it made my hair feel. […]

• Reply Hayley January 21, 2014 at 3:55 am

I do this once a week and have found that my hair is much thicker and stronger.

I also like to use coconut oil as a moisteriser.

• Reply cila February 13, 2014 at 8:19 am

I live in Portugal and can’t find coconut oil in a paste texture can i use coco
    nut milk?

• Reply cila February 13, 2014 at 8:22 am

Can I use coconut milk instead, can’t find coconut oil in the paste texture.

• Reply tyler July 21, 2014 at 10:27 pm

i know this is from a while ago but coconut oil in liquid form is the same thing as pictured in this tutorial. it’s only solid because it has a higher melting point and it was probably cold where she was.

• Reply Rosa February 13, 2014 at 9:34 am

I’m pretty sure this is a dumb question, but apply heat with the cap on or off?

• Reply whitney setzer April 11, 2014 at 11:05 am

I have been doing the coconut treatments for about 4 months now, and my hair is totally restored, but i have always applied it to clean hair. today I was going to apply it to dirty hair but wasn’t sure if it would work as well because I put mouse in my hair yesterday.

• Reply Spa Week Daily's Friday Favorites | Spa Week Daily April 25, 2014 at 8:00 am

[…] Thai Salad with Curry Coconut Dressing via theroastedroot.net, DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask via annapolisandcompany.com, Laugh Quote via contextualpost.com, Spa Quote pinned by Tara Doughman, Body Quote pinned by Nina […]

• Reply mayra May 6, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Nice article! I’m trying it now.

• Reply ashley May 30, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Use unrefined coconut oil! Refined is put through a chemical process to get the coconut flavor and smell out, and its bleached. Unrefined(virgin) has all the good properties from the coconut.

• Reply Ashley June 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

HA that shoe / hair dryer contraption is genius! Going to do that from now on 🙂

• Reply Brooke July 5, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Trying it in a couple mins!! Can’t wait! Not gonna apply heat though.. Wedding tomorrow so I am doing a spa day thx emily

• Reply Tanya Aliza August 2, 2014 at 11:56 am

Just did this to my hair last night after reading this and WOW…..super soft.
    Totally love your blog….thank you.

• Reply unique of sheffield August 29, 2014 at 11:47 am

WOW, It sounds So good…I will try it soon..Many many thanks

• Reply Beauty Hacks December 15, 2014 at 9:16 am

This is fantastic! My little sister is obsessed with homemade beauty treatments. Will definitely pass on!

• Reply Coconut Oil: What’s the Hype?! | Pink Yoga January 10, 2015 at 10:26 pm

[…] #6. Hair-Mask: and I mean DEEP conditioning. Google has thousands of DIY recipes for this, here’s a personal fave of mine – http://annapolisandcompany.com/2013/06/coconut-oil-natural-beauty-uses/ […]

• Reply Hair breakage October 11, 2015 at 7:29 am

That’s so cute. Do you think it is suitable for hair breakage and split ends? It’s something I get asked quite often from my own blog’s readers, and I would love to know what you might think of it.