Motherhood & Education Style.

Steady Days | Getting Dressed

July 18, 2014

Steady Days | Getting Dressed

Clothes can be such a touchy subject for women. We all have our insecurities, our backgrounds, our limited budgets, our work environments, and personal tastes thrown into the mix. Maybe you, like several women who’ve emailed me, don’t even know what you like and for years you’ve tried to nail it down, all leading to frustrated dressing rooms and hours standing in front of your closet.

I would like to start by encouraging you. Yes, you fellow woman (and maybe some guys reading this who don’t know what to say when their wives or girlfriends ask “How do I look?”)

You are beautiful.

Period. We are all in different stages of our journey…some of us are growing babies in our bellies, nursing, working a lot of hours, trying to have children, dating, or stuck in a rut, but you know how I know that you are beautiful? Because God created you. He created round faces, long faces, tall bodies, short bodies, wider hips, narrower hips, blessed booties and not-so-blessed booties, flat chests, full chests, asymmetrical ears and pointed ears, crooked teeth, straight teeth, curly hair, straight hair, skin prone to breakouts, skin that is flawless, large hands, petite hands…

And He looks at you and says, “You are my perfect creation.”

I believe this is so important to grasp before talking about anything external, like getting dressed every day. We have to understand that clothes are just the cherry on top to a kind of beauty that is everlasting. And clothes, well, they come and go.

I grew up in a modest-conscious community, so my style tends to gravitate towards the covered-up look. There’s always somebody who would probably disagree! But I mostly like to keep my shoulders covered when it’s not extreme southern weather and wear shorts that cover my blessed behonka (translate: booty) well. I love neutrals and branch into the color world on occasion, but if you peeked at my closet it is a row of blues, grays, blacks, browns, and whites. I also like comfort and I hate ironing. I used to beg my younger sister to iron my wrinkly clothes for church and when I left for college it honestly took me 2 months to figure out how to survive without her.

When I got married and first began having children I regret that I didn’t put more effort into how I looked and dressed. Of course, my husband told me I was beautiful and of course, my kids didn’t know any different. But now that I’m a bit older I realize that how I dress and choose to take care of myself reflects the importance I place on others, and that our wardrobe is not necessarily all vanity, like I so naively thought. Dressing appropriately shows that we care. We care about the body God gave us, and the people He’s placed in our individual paths. Whether we like it or not/accept it or not, we send a message to people with the clothes we put on.

There is a lie that bigger closets are better, that more shoes are optimal, and every girl ought to be willing to splurge on a Madewell dress. That’s a myth. In my early twenties, I realized that you really only need a few staples to create a put-together look that is attractive, modest, and appropriate for staying at home or going out. All the time I hear women say that they don’t have the money, or they hate shopping, so they’ve given up on looking put together. And can I just say, I’ve been in that place. Goodwill was all we could afford sometimes. But you can do it! You can find your style in musty, thrift store clothing racks, just as much as you can find it in a J. Crew at the mall.

The point is, that you make an effort. The effort will translate differently on everybody and there will be some days where you’re cleaning the house all day, or moving, or feeling sick, or just trying to recover from nursing a baby all night, but get back up the next day.

Take a shower.

And get dressed.

P.S. I’m sharing a list of wardrobe essentials with links to purchase tomorrow. I’m keeping it around 15 items, because that’s about what I’m living on with this pregnancy and I think it’s totally doable. See you then!

All images via my STYLE, SUMMER, and BABE boards on Pinterest.

You Might Also Like

11 Comments

• Reply Rachel July 18, 2014 at 9:36 am

excellent post for me, sitting here reading this in my pj’s. 😉
    thank you!

• Reply Kelsey, Esp. July 18, 2014 at 11:11 am

Oh Mary Beth. YES. Getting dressed is such a huge struggle for me. I talked about it recently-ish on my blog but there are so many more words that go into it than I’ve figured out how to share. I DO want to share them, though, just like you shared this.

Love it, as always.

• Reply Rachael @ From Faye July 19, 2014 at 1:05 am

SO good, MB. Thank you. I just had a friend who is a stylist come and look through my closet. We kept very few things. Black, white, navy, and a few other neutrals. So far, I love having a minimalist closet..makes getting dressed so easy. Also make shopping less of an impulse and more of a thoughtful process. I have one pair of jeans, and I need a second, but I am determined not to rush finding them!

• Reply Hannah Ruth July 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I just thought I’d let you know that… I hardly ever read blogs these days, but when I do, it’s only yours. 🙂 And I’m glad I did because I’m looking forward to reading about your wardrobe recommendations! This comes just in time to help me think about what I want to get for my birthday. Wheeeee!

• Reply Terin Garrett July 19, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Getting dressed is a struggle for me too – I just want to live in my pj pants, dang it! haha!

• Reply » Steady Days | Wardrobe Essentials July 19, 2014 at 3:04 pm

[…] you missed yesterday’s post on taking a few minutes to get dressed each morning, you should read it before reading this one. […]

• Reply Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 24, 2014 at 5:51 am

It’s my first visit to your blog (via Heather’s Dish) and I just have to say I LOVE this post, and in some ways, it wasn’t what I was expecting, thinking it would be a “fashion” post. Thank you for the wonderful, grounding reminder that clothes are the “cherry on top” of an already beautiful creation!

• Reply What Really Matters - I Heart Vegetables July 25, 2014 at 6:02 am

[…] This blog post from Mary Beth, of Annapolis & Company, put a few things back into perspective for me. I had never read the girl’s blog before (I found it thanks to a link from Heather!) but I fell in love with this post. For context, she has an amazing style blog, and I want all of her clothes […]

• Reply Monday Chic: Style Journey | Chic Stripes July 28, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] and read this post by Lauren Messiah, this one by Juley, and this from Liz, which sent me here (trust me, they are worth the read).  They all talk in some way about the importance of a […]

• Reply Jessica Whitfield July 29, 2014 at 12:25 pm

MB,
    Thank you for this post. It’s been going through my mind lately that I need to put more effort into how I look even though I don’t work outside the home. I still want the hubs to look forward to what I’m wearing once he gets home! I’m 31 wks prego right now so your point at the end about that not being an excuse caught my attention. And I’m COMPLETELY inspired to revamp my wardrobe post baby because I have waaay to many pieces that don’t coordinate and therefore, don’t get worn! Nonsense! Waste!

• Reply Julie August 11, 2014 at 9:58 am

Thank you for this beautiful and thoughtful post. I found it at I Heart Vegetables and I am so thankful. It’s nice to know other people think like I do. So important and so refreshing. : )